Monday, August 26, 2013

Elder Jansen Hall - August 26, 2013

Hey Yall!

This week has been really good! A lot has happened. The rain has kinda let up and now its starting to get hot again but I would rather live with that then being soaking wet all the time!
I was talking with mom and was telling her its crazy just to see how much a mission can really change a person. I have looked back on where I was when I came out on my mission and now just 7 months later looking at myself and im a completely different person. A mission can change so much. I remember I couldn't in a million years prepare a good talk and give one to last maybe 10 minutes. And I cant believe im gonna say this but now you cant get me to shut up when I teach. And I feel like I can just walk up to people and without it being awkward talk about the gospel with them, which before my mission would never happen! Its so cool to see! I hope I can keep learning and growing because I still need to so much!

But this Wednesday we were able to do our bible study! It went really well. We had a couple members come, a few less active and a recent convert! And it sounded like there were some more people including non members that wanted to come last week and couldn't but were gonna come this week!:) So I hope we can continue to keep it growing! Haha we basically just had a question and answer period the whole time and talked a lot about Christ and the Atonement and also the 3 kingdoms! So it went well. We are going to start in the beginning of Luke and read about Christ birth and kinda just read about the major things that happened in Christ's Life! We are also going to show the bible videos the church has made and put out! They are so good if yall haven't watched them I highly recommend doing so! Haha but we are gonna try and start another thing. Which is family home evening with everyone. Just have a ton of families come to the church and hold a big family home evening night. We are gonna try and get people to come regular then tell them that they can now hold it at there house. It would just kinda be a transition group to try and get members and non members alike to be with there family. Ill tell yall more about it when we start doing it. We are gonna try and start next Monday so itll be a week or so before we start.


The other big even that happened this week was zone conference!! Holy cow it was amazing!! We had a ton of people train and teach us but just a couple things that I learned was to think of different ways to find people. To be creative with it instead of just knocking on doors. I learned to involve members to try and help find investigators for you. Which is what we are trying to implement here! I learned that we are in charge of creating the culture of our mission! Its up to us! I learned to be obedient and as you are the Lord can bless you so much for it! One thing that was cool was that the Highland Home relief society was in charge of the lunch for our conference. They had so much food and deserts! And im pretty sure I ate more than anyone there because I was just sitting there eating my 3rd plate of food and our zone leader came up to me and was just joking around with me and said," Elder Hall will you hurry up everyone is waiting for you." Then I looked up and I was the only one still eating! Haha I also had about 3 or 4 plates of desert! It was then that I realized that this area has gotten me so used to eating so dang much! haha kinda funny.


But one other really cool experience happened at zone conference. President Hanks got up to wrap the conference up and close it with some remarks. He said that he had gotten a letter in the mail from a man who had recently been baptized by some of our peers who were sitting among us. He went on to read some of the letter with us which was about a man who wasn't expected to live though a surgery but ended living. He lived 3 doors down from the missionaries and they came to teach him. They had changed his life and after a little bit he got baptized. Now im just summing up the story but as he was reading all this I was thinking to myself this sounds like Scott. The man I baptized up in Corinth. By the end of the letter I was pretty dang sure it was so afterwards went up and asked president Hanks. He said that it was!! I could not believe it!! He showed me the letter and said that he would make copies of it and get it to me! I felt so happy and proud of Scott! He is such and amazing man!



I got to call him a couple weeks ago and he has gotten the Aaronic Priesthood, been to the temple and did baptisms and is the ward clerk! I could not believe it! He is doing so well! Its so cool to see how the gospel and especially Jesus Christ and the Atonement can change people! I love Scott so much and I felt so special that day that President Hanks shared that experience with all the missionaries!

Well with the investigators here, they are all ready, its just going to take some time. I feel like this area will start to have baptisms within the next 2-4 months! There are just some kinda weird situations with people that need to be resolved first and then everything will fall into place! I sent pics of the baby. I was so happy that I got to hold little Raylan! He was so cute and I didn't wanna give him back! 


Ha But we are just trying to work hard every day! Im hoping that Elder Hodge has learned something from me the past couple of weeks. We get transfer calls this Saturday and I really hope that I can stay here! I love Highland Home so much! I love the people here! They truly are my family and I have grown with them so much!

I hope that yall have a great week! Sorry this wasn't to good of an email but im running outta time and we are busy today. I hope that yall have a great week! Remember that "The church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints!" We all need Christ's atonement! It can change even the worst of people and turn them into great sons and daughters of Heavenly Father! Its real! Christ Lives!! I love yall so much, pray for yall every night, and hope yall have a great week!

Love Elder Hall:)

No comments:

Post a Comment