Sunday, March 22, 2015

Brad's Latest Email 3-16-15

Hi All!!

Okay! Well this week was a good week! We have been doing so much service!! I am actually getting TAN!!! Every day this past week has been in the high 60s and low 70s. We have been in our service clothes more than we have been in our proselyting clothes! haha It has been a busy week. A mission is an amazing thing. I now have such a wide variety of things that I can put on my resume. I have done so many different kinds of service!! It has been so nice and I have learned so many different techniques. Oh, but one thing happened last week that was the worst! So on Tuesday after District meeting we always go out to eat. So we decided to go to IPC (Idaho pizza company) and on Wednesday I woke up around 3 in the morning being extremely dizzy and having nausea. I threw up. So all day Wednesday I was puking and I literally didn't have any strength at all! I puked a total of 12 times!!! It was a rough day. I don't ever want to have food poisoning again and my entire district had it! It was bad! But thank goodness that was the only bad thing that really happened. 

Yesterday as we were in ward council, someone had to give a spiritual thought and in this video that he showed us there was a saying that stuck out at me. "You never know how strong you are... until being strong is all you have left." That really stuck out to me. This brothers spiritual thought was on courage. It was a great thought. It talked about how standing up for what we believe in, to have courage.  As a missionary I have the opportunity to lovingly correct them on something false that they have learned about our beliefs. 

For example: (and I am not bashing on ANYBODY), but we were sitting down in a 5 star restaurant.... ( Dennys ;) ) and this man came up to us and told us everything that we do wrong in our church.  Luckily he wasn't making a scene and before he had the chance, I Interrupted him and invited him to sit with us. He did. He was an older man and I asked him where he had learned what he knew about the LDS church. He didn't tell us what church he was a member of, but he said that they have a class at the church that preaches and teaches how to deal with "MORMONS".  So he told us some of the things that they teach the congregation. I began to ask this old man where it says to love they neighbor as thyself? and he told me it was in Mark. So we looked it up and we read it and I asked him who were his neighbors? He said anyone around him. So then I asked him what it meant to be a christian? He said to be Christlike and to lead by example. I told him I don't understand why Christian churches,  not all, but some preach against another. I asked him if it means to love they neighbor as thyself shouldn't we be united? So we continued to talk and it turns out that he wants to know more. He apologized for the way he presented himself and we took down his number and are going to call him and see when we can come and see him.

I could have just let him tell us what he believed, but instead I let him know in a loving way that the things he found out or learned were not completely true. So have courage to stand and be proud of what you believe. If we are all Christians we need to be united. We NEED to be Christlike! We need to be example of the believers! 

Well that is about it! 

Thanks all! 

Love Elder Riley  


No comments:

Post a Comment