Monday, November 11, 2013

Elder Clement, 11-11-2013

Thank you all so much for your emails and your birthday wishes! It is great to hear that you guys are doing well! 

The blue rag from my pictures helps with the sweat down here. It is cooling off however. One Elder said it gets cold here in the winter, but he is from below the border so I'm not quite sure if he means 'cold' as in 'cold' or 'cold' as in 'you are not scrambling, frying, or sunny-side-uping in the sun but it is still pretty warm'. Probably the latter. 

Anyways, Elder Lamm and I had a great week! We had many spiritual lessons. 

We had the opportunity to go to a football game this last week of one of the young men in the ward. And I don't mean 'football' as in the world's meaning of football, I mean 'football' as in the good ol', hustle-tustle, American brewed Football. They actually have a little league of Tackle Football here. It was so cool! Although it isn't quite as crisp as Uncle Sam's, it was still really cool to watch some American Football. 

We also were able to baptize Humberto this last week! Humberto is 9 years old and his mom is a recent convert and his dad has been inactive for at least five years (according to his sister who is a great member in the ward). He has been wanting to get baptized for a long time "so [he] can return and live with God again" as he always said. It was so cool. The spirit was really strong in the meeting and I had the opportunity to baptize him. I felt such a powerful peace when we were in the font. The spirit was very sweet. Humberto was really happy after and I am so glad we were able to help him.
Their primary put on a very good program this last Sunday. The spirit was ringing throughout the room and the best part was that Gloria and her daughter Minerva came and felt it. They both really enjoyed it and Gloria was in tears. She had to leave to take care of her other kids at home but Minerva stayed for all of the classes and she had a really good time. Also, the dad of Humberto came to all three classes as well. He came to sacrament meeting two times before and then this last Sunday he came to all three hours and I think he enjoyed it. It was the first time in a while that the attendance has been above 100. 

I found out this last weekend that I will indeed be staying in Los Mochis for another exchange! I am really glad that I get to stay here. I love the people and we have many investigators that are getting close! I also found out that I my companion is Elder Alvarez. He arrived here in the mission field the same day as me (but you might be able to tell that he just might speak Spanish a little better than me because of his name). He is 24 years old and is excited to be here in the mission. My first companion that isn't going to leave! Woohoo!!! :) (although I gotta say I'm gonna miss all of the desserts from the members) I also found out that I would have the opportunity to be the District Leader. I am very excited to be in the same district. There are some great, hard-working missionaries here and I am excited to see what we can do. (Fun Fact: I have yet to be in a companionship where someone isn't the district leader. In the MTC, Elder Atkinson, then me, then Elder Richards in the field, then Elder Lamm, then this change it will happen again. Kinda funny :) 

I had a very simple, tender mercy from the Lord this past week as well. As I was a bit stressed and we were settling down getting ready for bed we were listening to music. A song from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir came on: He's Got the Whole World in His Hands. I like this song and as I looked down at my journal that has little scriptures at the bottom of every page I read something like "...Ye are in the Lord's hands..." and I just sat there in gratitude for this knowledge. We are in His hands. It is ok. I know that I am a child of God and that he will bare me up as I do His will and keep His commandments. Are you in good hands? It never was easy to follow Christ and it never will be, but the happiness is always worth it. 

I love you all very much and thank you so much for all the support you give me. I truly feel very well supported from home, and that is something that a lot of missionaries can't say. Thank you so much. I pray for you guys every day and I hope you are well at home. 

Elder Tanner Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment