Monday, September 2, 2013

Elder Jansen Hall - September 2, 2013

Hey Yall!

Let the cougars out and the tide roll! Haha football season is back and on its way. Im not gonna lie, this past Saturday we were able to stay busy, but it has been killing me to try and not get to into or caught up in all the football. Literally everyone ages 3 weeks to 100 years old is watching football down here! Haha but ill be able to handle it! Its just a very different experience!



 
So a couple things I wanna tell yall before I get started into my week. We got transfer calls on Saturday night. We will both be stayin here in Highland Home! That'll make 6 months for me down here:) I love this area and the people so I was excited about that. haha next is a couple of southern foods. My momma reminded me of some southern foods I forgot to tell yall about. One is boiled peanuts. Now just to make sure yall say it right, you pronounce it this way... Bowled peanuts.:) That's how we say it down here haha but they are super good! They basically just take peanuts and boil them in water then put salt on them. At first they weren't to appealing to me but they have grown on me so dang much! I love them:) Also one other thing that I sent yall pics of is the waffles and chicken chips. Those are super good to! haha

"This is the very famous restaurant in highland home! It dont matter! Its super good! Just a good southern country buffet!"
This week has been crazy and hectic and amazing at the same time! We have been teaching a lot of people and running around and having great experiences. Something I have come to realize for me in this area is I feel like Im supposed to be planting seeds. Setting things up for future missionaries to come and harvest. I dont feel like ill be in this area to much longer but I know that this area is going to start growing so much! And something that im working super hard on is the bible study. I know that this will help not only us and investigators but itll help members become involved in missionary work. This past Wednesday I wasn't able to be there. Me and one of the Zone Leaders had to go to another area for some business, but I got to see a couple people who came right before we left. There was a man who is coming back to church who came and he was very involved and excited about it. Also an investigator, Nikki, who came she was also involved and she told us we could come and teach her more about our church! That was great news! We were also able to double the attendance from last week! So im hoping this week we can keep increasing! And we have had a hard time figuring out what to teach, but we finally now have a game plan and im so excited to keep doing this! The other Zone Leader was able to help with the class and both of them saw how successful its being. They are going to talk about it with the other leaders in our mission and the mission president and try to get other area to implement it in there area:) So im excited about that!

We have also come across an unusual situation. The sister missionaries in Greenville, the other area im over as district leader, found a man named John when they were doing service for someone in there area. This man became interested in why the sisters were out painting a house. Well they ended up being able to teach him and talk with him for the past week and a half. He had gone to church with them in the branch as well and was just so excited about the whole situation. Then they set a baptismal date with him for Sep 7th. The only problem was that he lived in our area. So we would have to baptize him into our branch. One other cool thing is that we actually met john at a bbq place called hooks. He had said that he knew missionaries in Greenville then he had to leave. What we ended up doing is on Saturday the sisters came up to our branch building and we met with them and John. We talked with john and explained the situation that he would have to come to our branch on Sunday and then he would have to be baptized into our branch. Well he said he would come but he was really nervous. Lets just say that Heavenly Father has been preparing him so much. He told us today that church yesterday was a little awkward at first but as time went on he was fine and said everything was good. He has been willing to start living the Word of Wisdom and he has 3 girls that he is getting to come to church with him! We were able to do the baptismal interview with him yesterday. Im so excited for him. The baptism will be this Saturday! We are going to work with him to get the priesthood soon after baptism so that he can then baptize 2 of his girls who are ages 11 and 13. And his other daughter is 6! He has been so prepared by Heavenly Father and is doing so well! Even though ive only known him for a couple of days I love him! The sisters have been amazing in teaching him and getting him excited! Its cool to see how we can all work together in the same goal of helping people change their lives though the Atonement!! AHH is just so cool! I love being a missionary! I wish I had time to tell yall every little cool experience but I would be here for years!

We have had 2 baby blessings one on Saturday and the other on Sunday! They both went great! And one more quick story before I go. So there was a man in my last area named James. He was the one that had a ton of surgeries. We would go visit with him and his girlfriend. Well this week I have found out that he is doing tons better since his surgeries and that he is getting married! Not only that but his girlfriend is coming to church and she is going to be baptized! Its so cool to hear stories of people that you were able to be with! To see them use the atonement and how it can affect them in there lives! How they can change and become such great people! That is what I love about our gospel! Is that its all about the blessings for you! Its about being happy and becoming like Christ! I love it! We have been able to stay so busy lately! We have almost doubled the lessons we teach each week! I know that the Lord will help us!

Im not sure if I have shared this scripture with yall yet or not but a very smart man shared this scripture with me and it has become one of if not my most favorite scripture. Its Galatians 2:20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Now this relates to every single one of us. It is saying that we are all crucified with Christ. But who lives? US. We are the ones that are on earth today! Christ lives in us. But how can he? Its only if we are living righteously and being obedient to the commandments and the Prophets! Now just as Paul we need to live by faith. We need to step into the darkness, then, only then can Christ reveal his light. He loves us and wants to help us in our efforts. He wants to bless us and help us perform miracles but its only if we want to. He isn't going to force us to do anything but is waiting on the sideline for us to come to him. We need to take an act of faith each day and look for ways so share our testimony, to help others, to make ourselves more like Christ but also reach outside of ourselves and help others as well. If you know and want Miracles to happen they will. It all depends on your faith.... So this week I want to invite yall to remember what it means when Paul says, "Christ liveth in me." How can Christ live in YOU? What will you be doing if Christ lives in you? What will you be saying if your a modern day disciple of Christ? I know that if yall truly think about these questions you will get answers by the spirit. Then act and you will see how blessings and miracles can happen! I promise yall as a representative of Jesus Christ that if you reach out to others and look for missionary opportunities, God will provide them for yall and he will bless yall and yalls family!

I love yall! I love being on a mission! I love being able to help so many people! I can still learn a ton more but I have loved learning to not worry about myself but worry about others, help others, and focus on others! It has helped humble me so much! I hope that yall have a great week! And remember to Be Happy! :)


Love Elder Hall:) 


"This is my district!:) We are the best!"



"These 2, The Bests...yes that's literally there last name.... no joke haha, are very important people down here for the branch. He has been the branch president twice and the district president before we were a stake I love them!" 



"Good old southern food! waffles and chicken chips! Haha they are actually pretty good if yall wanna try them:)"

No comments:

Post a Comment