Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Elder Tanner Clement, Sept. 25, 2013





 I survived the hurricane!  Ok, it just barely missed us by a few miles. :)  But I do have a picture of me on the roof with it in the background that I will attach.

Thanks for all the questions!  Feel free to ask anything you would like to know.

Last week we had to write on Tuesday because it was Mexican independence day and the computer places were closed.

That´s cool that you were able to see our house!   Yes, I like my area.  It is very big but I am getting more used to the city.

I actually do get to play the piano quite often before and after church and before and after our english classes.  But I´ve only played once so far in sacrament meeting.  I am loving the piano books I have.  It is a great spiritual rest.

President Munive and I email every week and I talked to him a bit two weeks ago when we had the special conference with the area president.  I also think we have interviews this next week during another conference (we have had a lot of conferences lately... and in two weeks it will be general!) ;)

And yeah, Elder Richards is pretty excited about leaving next Wednesday, on his birthday.  It should be pretty exciting for him!  

This week was pretty good.  We had a few really spiritual lessons.  One we had with a new contact that we received at the conference two weeks ago, her name is Rosa.  They live in an area called the memoria where a few other members and investigators live which is just about like walking from Nauvoo to Salt Lake for us, so we planned a day to visit a bunch of people who live there.  Anyways, they didn't really know anything about the church yet so we taught the first lesson, the Restoration.  The spirit was very powerful when I bore my testimony that I am a Child of God.  I know that this knowledge is more precious than any thing in this world.  I am a Child of God, and if I am following the gospel of Jesus Christ, I will not fall.  I will not fall.  I did not fall, and Rosa was able to feel the spirit baring testimony of my words as well as those of Elder Richards.
We also visited an older investigator in the memoria, Alejandro and his daughter Liset (his son Brayan was at work).  They have received all of the lessons and everything, so we were really stopping by to see where they stand with the gospel.  He said that he has seen a change in his house since the missionaries have been coming and that his extended family has noticed.  He likes the gospel, but I would love to know if he knows it is true.  I was going to ask but the right moment didn't come up.  His challenge is commitments in general, which --for the people in Los Mochis-- is about as common as how much the stinking mosquitos enjoy my sweet american blood.  Anyways, he said he will for sure, 100% be coming to church next Sunday.  I really pray that he will be able to make it.  It is what he is missing, and Brayan and Liset too.

Sunday was great as well. One older investigator came to church at the time of the other ward which was really great because we actually didn't get to talk to them this past week much.  Also, Victor, a friend of a young sister in the ward came for the second time, and he was really interested.  Last time we taught him the Restoration and this time we attended a Sunday school class with him taught by sister Cruz (the wife of one of the counselors of the mission), which she based on marriage and the Plan of Salvation and that was perfect.  He really liked it and he asked us after if we knew if they had institute during the week here that he could attend.  I am really excited for him.  Also, another man came.  When we were waiting in the hallway before sacrament meeting I noticed a man was standing outside the church gates (every building has a huge wall or fence around it including the homes because of the 'honesty rate' down here) and he mouthed something that I couldn't understand (I am not quite to lip-reading level in Spanish yet) he came to the front doors and asked, "Is there anything I could do for something to eat?"  I didn't know what to say.  He had pretty worn and tattered clothes with a sincerely humble expression of 'please', his name is Salvador.  We got Hermano Medina from the bishopric and they talked for a bit.  I noticed that the man attended Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School, and Priesthood with us.  I think he really enjoyed it, he said he did.  We gave him a Book of Mormon at the end and invited him back again and he said he'd really like to.  I think he really liked that everyone was so friendly.  How humbling it is to see Salvador and the people here in Los Mochis that have almost nothing.  After church I played 'Because I Have Been Given Much' on the piano and I am noticing how much more that song means to me here in Mochis.

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty Lord, each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee, with every brother that I see.
Who has the need of help from me?

The other verses are just as powerful and I know I have been given everything in this life.  At the very top of my list are my loving family, the gospel, and my loving friends (tied for first).  Holy cow, I know that the Lord has given me everything so I can give it to the people here.  I also realize now that I need to "forget my self and get lost in the work" as directed by Gordon B. Hinkley's father.  I am honored to be here in Los Mochis for my Savior, rain or shine (hurricane or blazing sun).  I know that the work is true.  I know that He lives and loves us, and that His gospel is on the earth today, and we have it in our hands. 

Elder Tanner Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment