Thursday, September 19, 2013

Elder Tanner Clement, Sept. 19, 2013


Elder Tanner Clement, Sept. 19, 2013
It has been raining here and like I said last week, the storms down here are quite intense!  Also, apparently there's a big hurricane heading our way the next few days so that should be interesting as well...
This last week was pretty great!  On Wednesday we had a special conference with Elder DeHoyos, the area president came down with his wife and Presidente and Hermana Munive as well.  The conference was mainly on working with the members and working on all sides of missionary work, with Investigators, Less-active members, Active members, and New members alike.  I'm not sure if I said this earlier but we don't knock doors or street contact in this mission.  Everything we do is by referrals.  And even more so now.  They told us to ask two questions at the end of every lesson (with members or investigators): 1) Do you know anyone else who would benefit from the gospel message, and 2) Do you know anyone else?
Well, we put these teachings into action later that day with Hermana Flor, a good friend of ours.
  We taught her the first discussion so she could kind of have a background knowledge of what we teach first then we gave her a Book of Mormon to give to a friend.  We asked her who to and when she would give it.  Then we asked if she knew anyone else, she said yes, then we gave her another.  The next morning she called us and told us that she had given it to her friend Candi who has had some struggles in her life.  She has four boys and is divorced and she is struggling to provide for all of them.  We met hermana Flor in the park then together we went and had a great discussion with Candi.  This was the best lesson I have had so far in the mission field.  We really listened to her and what she was seeking.  We didn't really focus on getting to all of the material of the lesson but the spirit guided us to just about all of it anyway.  She read the assigned section of the Book of Mormon the night before and we gave her a new one, Alma 32, that talks about faith, humility, and worshipping throughout the week, not just Sunday.  It was great!  She wasn't able to make it to church because of some family conflict but I think she is excited to be immersed in the gospel.  We have another appointment with her this week.  We gave a Book of Mormon to at least 5 other families to place as well.  I am sure you guys have also been involved in the greater push for  "every member being a missionary" in Utah as well.  The members really are the best way of the work and I hope you get the opportunity to help because it is the most important work that we can do.  This past week I have enjoyed listening to the song "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy", Hymn 335.  It really is our responsibilitly to bring our brothers and sisters back to the fold.  And I know if we pray for the opportinities, Heavenly Father will place a "struggling seaman" in our path that "we (can) rescue, we (can) save".
Sunday was pretty great too.  One ward member spoke on enduring trials and how they benefit us.  I really liked something he said, Don't focus so much on the "porque" but rather the "paraque".  For the 99% of you who don't speak Spanish, that means that instead of focusing on "why" is this happening to me, focus on how it is making me a better and stronger person and how it is preparing me to meet my Father in Heaven.  I really liked this because I have a testimony that our trials are tailored to our needs.  We would not suffer any one trial if it were not personally built to mold and form us to become like our Father in Heaven.  And that point of view really lightens the burden because we know that we have a Father in Heaven who loves us more than we can imagine and that he has a plan for us.
I know this is true.  I know that this time is the time for men to prepare to meet God, and that he has given us every tool we need to get there.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is the iron rod that will lead us to the fruit of eternal life with our Father in Heaven as well as peace and joy in this life.  I am so grateful to have a testimony of this because I have certainly felt the peace and the sweet, sweet joy that come from a knowledge that He is there.

Thank you for your love.  Thank you for comforting me and for teaching me where I can go when I need help.  I pray for the family every day.  I know you are well and I would like to share with you something that I was able to share with a woman in the ward who is becoming active again.  Her son is 17 years old and is going to leave on a mission next year.  She is divorced (like too many families here, another thing I am
so, so grateful for in my life, thank you) and she just has a son and a daughter.  She knows it is best for him to go but she is really a bit worried about not having his help around the house to do things.  A scripture popped into my head in D&C 100.  It was verse one, when Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon were concerned with how their families were.  I know that you guys, and the rest of the family, are in the Lord's hands at this time and that is a great comfort to me because I love you guys.  You should read chapter 100 (specifically verse 1, but 4-7 were given in my setting-apart blessing), it is amazing.
Well, thank you and I love you all again,

Elder Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment