Monday, January 26, 2015

Brad's email 1-26-15

One of the sister missionaries that are in his Zone area.  

Hello!!

So this week has been a pretty good week for the most part. We did lots of things and tried to find new people to teach. It was Elder Patterson's first week in the mission field and he said that he really likes it, but he is going to have to get used to it.! He is such an awesome Elder. He has the attitude of a new missionary and is keeping me motivated. I still don't have a picture of him, but I will get one today and lots more! This companion likes to take pictures so I am going to follow his example and take pictures as well! haha 

I'm very sorry to hear about Grandpa Clawson... He really was an amazing person, but I guess the Lord really needed him in preparing the kingdom for the second coming. I am really thankful for the example that he set. I will honestly never forget him. I am also thankful that the last time that I saw him he was able to work and enjoy the farm. He taught me alot about cows!  haha He kinda went deeper than he had to when talking about the reproduction of the cow... haha, but I guess you know that he really likes the farm and his family because of the way that he talked about them and his deep love for them. I am glad he is out of his painful state. Make sure the Clawson Family knows that I love them and I am always praying for them. I respect that family and consider them family! 

The weather here has been really nice lately! We have been parking our truck and walking everywhere that we go. I have been rolling up my sleeves and trying to get a sun tan. ;) 

This week we have been focusing on the topic of Freedom To Choose. It has been a solid week of talking about agency and why we have it. I was given the opportunity to teach Elders Quorum and the Gospel Principals class. It is always interesting talking about something that everyone in the class knows quite a bit  about, but it was really nice to teach it. I talked alot about my life before I was a missionary and about my conversion and how it was my choice to serve a mission and not anybody else. It was my choice to decide to participate in church. it is all my choice!  

I talked a lot about being accountable for the choices that you make. I told them some more experiences about my life before my mission and how I had to be accountable for those choices. Some of the consequences are good and some are bad. It is all up to us. I talked about before we all came down to earth and the choice that we all made to follow Christ's plan so we would be free to chose and that we would be accountable for those choices, rather than taking Satan's plan and being able to do whatever we want and be able to return back to him and not have to be accountable. I concluded with my testimony and challenged them all to think a little bit more when it comes to making some decisions and to try and remember the gift that we have been given and how we can use it wisely. 

It seemed to go well and there was quite a bit of participation. I have found out that no matter who you are talking to or who you are teaching to ask a lot of questions. For example: if someone were to bring their car to a mechanic and said it is making a noise and that is all they said, well that doesn't really help me very much. So I have to ask where it is coming from, the front or the back, right side or left. Is there a vibration, does the sound come up when you slow down or speed up or when you apply the brakes? 

All of these questions are going to help me find the answer to the problem of the car and when I can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It is the same with teaching. If you want to find something out or if you would like someone to talk or to ask a question or answer a question, the best way is to ask LOTS of questions! It works! :)

Well, that is about it for the week.  Have a good one!

Love, Elder Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment