Monday, January 13, 2014

Brad Riley's Mission Life

Hi All!!

Well I feel better today! (Brad has had the flu bug for a few days). I thought of something that you guys could do, If you see missionaries at all walking ask them if they want a ride cause its really cold! Or if you see them in a restaurant and they are there for lunch pay for their meal and if you see them in the grocery store give them some money or something or ask them if they need anything! That is really helpful and is always so unexpected, though I really doubt you guys will see missionaries in Alpine because its such a big area, but anything helps! 

This past Sunday we got to teach gospel principals and it was on service and how the season is perfect for service! This is the time of year when we need to be thinking of others and to be more Christlike! People think that the service that they have to do has to be huge, but it doesn't.  It doesn't matter as long as we are thinking of other people and ways we can help them! To go out of our way to make a difference and to touch other peoples hearts is the best thing we can do! 

This week not much really happened! We had been doing a lot of service and had the chance to teach the teachers quarom about welding! That was fun! The people in this ward are really awesome and I love being around them! We are hoping it will snow this week just because the snow here is really really ugly and its been really really smoggy! We are in an area that is huge and the mission doesn't give us enough miles and our ward covers 2 other towns, Greenleaf and Notus. and its farmland and is really really spread out, so that's always tough but at the same time I love it cause I love driving in open country!


So there is a kid out in Notus that lives in the middle of nowhere and it takes us forever to get out there, but he is 15 years old and is extremely less active but he is alot like me minus the earrings and red tips on his hair, but I have been talking alot with him, and I can relate to him really well, but on Wednesday the elders and the teachers are doing a welding activity again so I asked the teachers if he could come. so they are letting him and so I think he will have fun.  His situation is pretty tough, his mom cant keep a guy to save her life, the past 3 years she has had 5 husbands all divorced, one cheated on her and so that sucks but her new fiance is a super cool guy and hes way funny i think that he will be good for her, but they also like to take stray homeless dogs and cats and there house smells like a pet sore and its super gross and there ceiling has tons of spider webs so I try to stay outside.

This past week has been a pretty dang good week! We got a lot accomplished and we had a Baptism on Saturday that was really good.  We felt prompted to ask a very less active member to talk at the baptism about Baptism, and he did such and amazing job.  He had everyone on the room crying, (including me, you guys know how I am) but the spirit that was felt was so amazing. This guy's name is Chuck and he hasn't been to church in 26 years and on Sunday he was there. I asked him when I saw him on Sunday what made you come to church? ( we have been trying to get him to come forever) and Chuck responded to me and said "Elder Riley, when I gave that talk yesterday I felt something, something that touched my heart, something that I haven't felt in over 20 years and it made me realize whats missing in my life". So Chuck has promised us that he is going to not miss a single Sunday unless he is really sick. 
so we are excited to see if he hold up to his promise!

So this week went by pretty quick except Saturday.  I think Saturday was the longest day of the mission, I don't know why, but it was. I was homesick and missing everything and everybody at home and I just wanted to come home. It was a tough time but I'm doing a lot better now!

Last night was way awesome! It was about 7:30 and we thought hey lets go hike Lizards Butte.  So we got our flashlights and started hiking its only a 30 minute hike, but it was really cool because we had companionship study at the top of this butte and it was really, really cool something that I will want to do again! 

So one of the things that made this week so good was the weather.  I It's been a tiny bit rainy but it has been in the 40's and 50's all week! It has been awesome! I'm still trying to get the mission home to give us a Jeep cause we keep getting stuck, but no luck yet.  I'll keep trying though.  When Elder Short sees the car and asked me why the car is all muddy, he will know why and hopefully he will listen too me cause its been hard to get around. 

What I have been reading and studying is the Joseph Smith History! I love it! I love Joseph Smith so much I have such a huge respect for him and what he did for our church and what he went through! Joseph Smith means so much to me! I always get asked, how can you believe Joe Smith? You think he's God and you worship him and the Book Of Mormon is a fake book.  I will bear my testimony and say, "why would someone die for a fake book?" That gets them thinking, so read it its so awesome!!! 

I am hoping that this week will be more interesting! haha

I love you guys,

Elder Riley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment