Thursday, January 16, 2014

Latest from Elder Clement: 



We had a pretty good week although we weren't able to teach many lessons. 

The hospitals here are like the ones back home. Where we went it was more like a doctor's office building but they still call it a hospital. And yes, I think Elder Chamberlain was surprised when I passed out although I did tell them beforehand that it would happen :) 

I am not quite sure if we are going to get iPads here in Mexico. We haven't heard anything yet but I hope so. It would really help a lot in the work. 

Sorry I am writing two days late, last P-day we went to Guaymas to pick up our visas and we didn't have time to write. It is kind of unfortunate because we had 6 hours of bus rides there only to find out that the system is down, eat a little caesars pizza, and return for 5 hours on a bus. We are going to go next week again to see if we can get them. 

Our new investigator Alejandra is what we call an "escogido". Or in english words, "chosen". She has enjoyed everything we have taught her and she has felt the peace that the gospel brings in her life. She feels that it is true and she has her baptismal date for February first. I believe very much that she will be baptized this day. Thank you for your prayers and help, we have really felt the blessings here in the Centro ward in finding those who "are only kept from the truth because they know not where to seek it. 

We had a great lesson with Liber last week. After we entered his home and sat down we asked him how his family trip was to Culiacan. He said it was good and after he told us about an experience. I think I have already mentioned that with Liber we had the goal of stopping smoking and drinking and drinking coffee and everything by the January first. He told us that the first week was really hard while they were on vacation. He was going strong until one day when he and his girlfriend had an arguement and he was feeling really down. He asked a family member for a cigarette and right as he was in this process, he got a text. The text was from Elder Chamberlain and I. "Hey Liber how's it going? How are you doing with your goals and everyting?" In this moment he said a prayer that he might find the strength to overcome this temptation. Right then, two clean cut young men in shirts and ties came walking around the corner. They were the missionaries in Culiacan. He asked them if they could say a prayer with him and they did. He didn't smoke that day and last Sunday he told us that he has not smoked nor drinken this year. I know that the Lord works in small and simple things to bring about his great and marvelous works. I know that He loves all of His children and that He will help them as they ask for help. I testify that He is there. I testify that He loves us, and I know that through Him we are made whole. 

I have been much more calm recently in the mission. I think I started out really stressed about all of the responsibility that we have and all the people that are relying on us and especially that if everything I was doing was the very most will of God. I think I've found that stress, in the bad sense, can be a form of fear. It is hard for the spirit to dwell in someone who is stressed out. I read a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants that helped calm this stress. In section 58 verses 26 and 27 it explains that we should be anxiously engaged in a good cause and that we should do good by our own will. Then in verse 28 it says, "for the power is in them, wherin they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward." I realized that I was trying too hard to focus on the very best thing to do that I wasn't being my own agent and acting in faith. I was too stressed about doing everything perfect that the spirit was not able to dwell inside of me as abundantly and I think this cut off the connection that I have enjoyed so much in my life. Heavenly Father has given us everything we need to accomplish what He asks, even if at times it doesn't seem like it. But he wants us to be calm and happy, not hurried and stressed. 

Thanks for your support and love! I am doing very well and I hope you all are too! 

I love you, 

Elder Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment