Monday, March 31, 2014

Elder Isaiah Williams - March 31, 2014

Well this week was another blur. But lots got done. We're finally getting to know more and more people as we settle here in Arlington Heights. We have about 9 investigators, and continue to pick up more as we go throughout the weeks. There's lots of part-members and less actives here in the ward. Most of our investigators come from them. Which is good. I love teaching families. This week I've asked a couple of them if we could come over and do family home evening with them and most of them said heck yeah. Our goal is to show them how the gospel strengthens families.
   
I know being on a mission is all about serving others but as I teach families that don't have the gospel, I think In the back of my head of how I want my family to be. I see all the little things I want my family to do. I want my family to be glued together by the gospel. The gospel really does strengthen families. I've seen all the many blessings that come from it. Families seem to be more happy, loving,
and united. And who doesn't want that for their family!?!? Haha

The weather was bipolar this week. -_- it snowed, it rained, then Sunday happen to be 62. Haha it's annoying because we can't check weather forecast or anything so I never know what to wear! The area is finally starting to turn green after about 6 months. The golf courses look dead, the streets are all cracked because of the snow plows. They look like radiator springs after Lightning McQueen went through it. Lol I feel like I'm off roading most the time.
    
I'm honestly past the "Greeny" stage, but I still get called it all the time. I'm gonna start telling people that I've been out for a year. -_- maybe they'll stop. I think I'm seriously learning things to fast. Haha there are missionaries here that I tell stuff too and they are like "what the heck, how did you learn that so fast I learned that
when I was a year and a half out". I'm a genius, what can I say. ;) haha jk the spirit has been REALLY good to me though! One of my favorite times of the day is my personal study time from 8-9. That hour goes by faster than any hour I've every experience. I may have been disobedient once or twice going over. Psh haha jk way more times then that. But that's what repentance is for. I love the gospel. I have lots of things revealed to me from time to time and it makes me a
better missionary,  better teacher, and a better person. I love the role of the Holy Ghost!
   
This might sound weird but I'm afraid to come home. I've never been in this state of mind before. I've never felt the Holy Ghost so strongly in my life before and I know when I get back it's going to be really hard to feel this way. With the world being the way it is. Being busy with work and school. It's like almost impossible. But it is possible!
     
The members in the ward are finally getting pumped about missionary work. It's cause I bore my testimony on it and everyone feels bad haha but hey if that's why they come I won't be mad. They will get blessings from it anyways. Eventually they'll see why it's important.
     
We had a guy come out with us the other day. And me and my companion knew that he was beyond nervous. He is a convert of 20 years but never went on a mission. He volunteered himself to go out but didn't really know what he signed up for Haha we got to a house and before we get out he car we ALWAYS say a prayer. We prayed that he spirit would be with us all as we approached the house that we would know what to say when they came to door. We build his confidence with that prayer. And you could see it in his smile. He walked up, rang the doorbell and me and elder Jensen stepped back. Haha he was like "what are you doing!?" I said you got this! I was standing behind him. It was night time. As the investigators turned on the lights and came down stairs (in a onesie). He said "get from behind me, she's gonna think a big black guy is holding me hostage or something"lol. She opened the door, said she wasn't interested and slammed the door in his face. Surprisingly, he took that as a badge with of Honor. He just needed to go through that. He still had his confidence and wasn't afraid anymore :) we went to other houses and had little success. But at the end of the night he told us he LOVED the feeling of being out with us sharing the goodness of the gospel. Now I'm not saying go get a door slammed in your face but go out with the missionaries! There are hearts being prepared for YOU to bring others to Christ also. Missionary work isn't completely stopped but it's basically at a stand still, and it's not going really anywhere UNTIL members get involved. Numbers would double, even triple if members were involved more. so do more. :)
     
We do this activity in the ward. It's called gospel and goodies. As you can tell, it wasn't us that picked the name. It was the sisters before us. The missionaries conduct it. It's any activity that we do every other Wednesday. Members come and they HAVE to bring a non-member friend. It's a good way to get investigators involved in church in a more normal scene. We play games, eat goodies, and then the missionaries give a spiritual thought. We've only done it once but it seems to be pretty successful. It reminds me of a regular singles ward Famly Home Evenings.
     
K, so everybody can probably see that I have Facebook now. I promise it's authorized. It's one our biggest proselyting tools. So I'm not being disobedient I promise. Haha umm anyone can message me on it, I probably won't message you back, but I CAN read it. :) anyone can post on my wall as well. For the most part try and put a message that would make someone closer to Christ. Same thing with pictures, if you tag me in a picture or anything make sure it's missionary minded as well. :) if anyone has any spiritual messages, memes, or anything throw that bad boy on my wall! Like my spiritual posts as well, So I can get 100 likes! Chea! Jk haha so my post can make it on your Facebook and have someone whose not a member see it. So the more likes the better. It's missionary work, so don't let these opportunities past you by. At all times we should be building someones faith. So why not do that to multiple people at once. There's tons of losers (Sean Kleiman) lol out there who have nothing better to do but be on Facebook. ;) give them something to scroll down and see!
      
Anyways, this is my letter for the week. :) I hope everyone is continually building their faith as well. Continue to be examples to those who are watching, cause there's people creepin all the time. Study Christ like attributes and apply those in your lives. Send me emails! So I know how everyone is doing! everyone have a great week!!!

I'll end with a spiritual note.

In Alma 41:7. I highlighted the last sentence in that verse. Read that verse. And keep in mind that it's ok to judge ourselves. Everyday have a self-evaluation. Ask yourself what am I doing wrong, what can I change, how can I help. Read alma chapter 5! There are evaluation questions that alma asks. write them down on a piece of paper and take the test. When you get done, ask am I ready if Christ comes today??? Hmm we are our own judges, and we decide now, here on earth where we want to be after this life. Everyone gets rewards. If we do great, we get a great reward. If we do good we get a good award, but if we suck beyond all measure, what kind of reward do you think you'll get? Think about it. :)


- Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment